Friday, December 16, 2011

It's beginning to sound a lot like Christmas...

I'm a pretty darn traditional girl. I think that having and looking forward to traditions are what make life bearable. If you looked at my Christmas Playlist, you would see that I don't veer too far from the carols of old. You will also see that I'm an awesome mother since I allowed my children to put music from "A Charlie Brown's Christmas", and "Christmas Shoes" on said playlist.

Being as traditional as I am, this first choice will not surprise you. I love this sound. I love this song. This, to me, is Christmas.




This next song just about brings a tear to my eye every time I hear it. And not at all for the reasons you will assume.

I think that Joseph is a key figure in the Nativity story that we tend to overlook sometimes. We give Mary the credit she so truly deserves, but I think we often forget the sacrifices and struggles that Joseph was faced with. He had to listen to this story that the girl he was going to marry told him and decide for himself what he was going to believe. If he didn't believe her, he did not have to marry her. He could have had her stoned. He didn't. He trusted her, received his own witness that what she was saying was true, married her, and cared for her needs, both temporally and spiritually. How devastated he must have felt when they were traveling, her great with child, and him responsible for not only her, but that special baby; and he could not find a comfortable and clean place for her to deliver. The agony he must have felt while watching her suffer to complete the job she was chosen to do. And I'm not even going to go into the fact that God chose this man to raise His Only Begotten on this earth. What a magnificent and daunting calling. He must have felt so unworthy and inadequate. This song shows us that Joseph was an ordinary man, with an extraordinary opportunity. Would we have what it takes to make the choices he made? Would we be able to do what was required of him?
I'm just not sure...

No comments: