Thursday, January 24, 2013

I like Owl City and I Don't Care What You Think

I've said it before that I'm a lyrics girl.  It's probably why I don't like a lot of the music on the radio today.  Because it's stupid and repetitive.  I hate that crap.  Unless I'm dancing or running.  Then I don't want to think so it doesn't matter. It's also why I get really annoyed when a song comes out that has a catchy little beat that gets stuck in my head like this one and I just walk around randoming yelling out "Pa Pa Americano!"  Super annoying for everyone involved.   It's also why I super mega love Owl City.  I don't care what you think.  I know he can be cheesy, but his lyrics are clever and I like them and his music makes mopping the hardwoods in my house way more enjoyable.

Anyway what I'm trying to say is that I actually listen to music most of the time and then I think about stuff.  I think that's why I apply so many of my best memories to songs.  Like whenever I hear A Thousand Years by Christina Perri I think of the moment I saw Pat standing at the alter on our wedding day and that if it hadn't been a ridiculously treacherous hill and I wasn't wearing a super poofy dress I would have throw out all decorum and ran to him as fast as I could.  Or when I hear Next Year by Foo Fighters I think of dancing with Nathan in my living room when he was just a baby.  And We Love You by OMD makes me think of all the shenanigans that Layne and I pulled as teenagers.  And Forever Young by AlphaVille makes me think of Stake dances.  Which in turn makes me laugh really loud because the only reason I went to Stake dances was to hang out with Ben Nolan and it's funny to me that the same girl who would sneak out of her bedroom window to hang out by the beach with missionaries also had a crush on the stake presidents son.  Until he got a perm and then I was like..Dude! You have a perm and that's wicked lame.  But anyway...

Today I was cleaning and listening to Owl City and the song Vanilla Twilight came on.  I've always liked the song.  It's a bit of a cheesy love song, so I started thinking about the different kinds of love.  Obviously there's romantic love and all that it encompasses, but there's a more pure kind of love than that.  The love between a parent and a child.  The reason I think it is more pure is because I believe that neither party would ever intentionally hurt the other, in most cases.  Of course we do from time to time, but I don't think it's on purpose and I think that when it's discovered there is always an instant regret. I don't think we set out to hurt our spouses or friends and I believe there is regret, but not to the same degree as a parent and child. Our kids can be the most obnoxious, horrible human beings on the planet and we would still step in front of a bus to save their lives.  I'm not a psychologist so I don't know why that is.  Maybe it's because as a parent and child we are a part of each other.  Maybe it's because we see so much of ourselves in the other and we know what hurts us and how it feels so we don't want to inflict that on them.  I don't know, but whatever it is it's real, and it's strong.  This train of thought then lead me to my friend Tom and his daughter Airlia.  I like to watch their interactions because they have a very special and strong bond and even though they are in a situation where they don't get to see each other as much as they would like they don't let that affect the relationship they have.  So, as I was listening to the words to this song today I thought...I bet this is exactly how Tom feels when he thinks about Airlia.  It's a special kind of love story between a dad and his daughter.


1 comment:

tom said...

Thank you Stacy!!! Someday I'll give you the biggest hug! :)