Friday, February 21, 2014

My Super Late Valentines Day Post

I don't know how it happened, but once again it's been several months since I've blogged.  I actually may have forgotten that I had a blog for a minute.  In my forgetfulness I missed my annual "Things I don't want for Valentines Day" post.  Since I don't have to worry about not getting any of those things I thought I'd do something a little different. I'm going to share my thoughts on love.  I know how you like it when I share.

There's a lot of heartache and loneliness in the world.  I think we all feel it in one way or another.  You see a lot of it around this time of year from both people who are single and from people who are not. Pining for someone to just show them some attention.  And my thoughts are not directed at anyone, they are just that, thoughts.  One thing I noticed this past Valentines is that the holiday seems to be directed toward woman.  And it isn't just Valentines.  It's anniversaries, birthdays etc...  When did that happen?  When did it become a one way street?  That men are expected to go out and buy flowers and chocolate and underwear to give to women and we just sit there with our hands out.  Doesn't love involve two people?  Don't anniversaries usually celebrate the joining of two people together?  So why do we sit there and expect something and get all butt hurt if nothing comes when we didn't get off our lazy butts and do anything for the person we supposedly love either?

That's not really my point I just wanted to say it because well...I wanted to, that's why.

Here's my point...I don't believe in falling in love.  I believe in attraction and common interests and enjoying someones company.  But I believe that at some point you make a choice that you are going to love a person and commit yourself to that choice.  Then you begin down a long line of other choices that directs your life from that point.  Am I going to marry this person?  Am I going to have a family with this person?  Etc...  Sometimes all the choices come easily and you move down the line.  Sometimes they don't.  Sometimes you back track.  Sometimes you realize that you made a wrong choice and then you have to decide how to correct it.  I think that people who stay together for the long haul are confident about that first choice and then stay committed to it NO MATTER WHAT.  

And no matter how awesome you think you are, I guarantee there is something about you that drives the person who has made the choice to love you crazy.  But being able to look back at that first choice with confidence makes all the difference in the world.  There is never a "what if" in that scenario.

And that leads me to my song...  When you're done with all the sappy love songs with promises of never ending romance, fireplaces, wine and beds full of rose petals and want something that applies to real life then give this one a listen.  "I'm coming home to you every night.  My mind is made up.  Nothing can change that.  I'm coming home to you."






No comments: