Tuesday, December 14, 2010

My Christmas Wish

It has become apparent to me that Christmas just isn't what it used to be. I'm usually a jolly little elf this time of year and have even found myself struggling with my own Christmas spirit. But I've decided to take a stand for Christmas and those that want to believe.

We always had great Christmases at my house growing up. My mom was the master Christmas decorator. She used to roll around on the roof all by herself putting up our Christmas lights. It was pretty funny to watch, but she did it. Because she loves this season. We would make crafts and bake and take goodies to our neighbors. One of my favorite things to do with her was at night after the boys all went to sleep, we would turn off all the lights in the house and her and I would sit in front of Christmas tree and listen to Christmas music together. I think that started my love for Christmas music. John Denver, Alabama, Kenny Rogers, Jim Reeves, MoTab and all the classics, of course. They all hold special memories for me. Then we'd try to guess what our presents were. She used to annoy me cause she could look at a perfectly square box and know exactly what was inside. And I'd try to figure out which one was the box of tampons that Tim wrapped up for me every year. Normally, it was funny except the one year when I actually needed them and didn't know which gift it was under the tree.

Even with all the fun stuff, we never forgot what the season was supposed to be about. That's why I still get choked up when I hear Harry Belafonte sing Marys Boy Child. Or C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S by Jim Reeves. And it makes me so sad that there are so many who don't have this to give the season meaning. Of course, it's hard to be happy at a season that means nothing anymore but hustle and bustle. It's hard to smile and be polite to the check out girl when all you're thinking about is what you have left to buy. It's hard to spread tiding of joy when the snow is ruining your Italian leather shoes. And it's hard to believe that the people who ARE doing these things are sincere when they treat you like crap the other eleven months of the year.

So, here is my thought for the holiday season. Don't worry about everyone else. Focus on the people that you love and the joy and happiness that they bring into your life. Stop worrying about what's not being done, and do something yourself. Find something or someone to believe in. It will make this season far brighter.

May your days be merry and bright. Happy Christmas.

4 comments:

rebeldiamond said...

wow. that was like, deep and stuff.
I loved it.

FanStacia said...

I have my moments.

Red Reffing said...

I have to admit, that plucked at my heart strings a little. If nothing else it should give folks a little perspective on what's important, not the least of which is knowing if you have any tampons left.

FanStacia said...

Thanks Red. ;)